Friday, September 14, 2012

Let freedom ring


I was an uptight kid. It wasn't until I was old enough to watch the legendary film Risky Business that I found the words of wisdom that changed my life:

Every now and then say, "What the fuck." [It] gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.
(Miles to Joel, encouraging him to take advantage of his parents being out of town)
Miles was right, and he taught me a valuable lesson. Loosen up! Nothing and no one is perfect, and while striving to be the best we can is admirable, being a perfectionist is a waste of energy. It's OK to take chances, throw things on the wall to see what sticks.

Of course, there are many things I take seriously, but I've found a way to hold myself to a high standard without the stress of having to be perfect. Some mistake that freedom for bravado, but I am confident, not because I know I'm right, but because I'm not afraid to be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment